Long Time Coming
My last jump was nearly 3 years ago.
3 years ago was when the wheels really fell off with Pongo and I moved barns right before my wedding (right after breaking my butt).
We decided to focus on dressage and get him feeling better. It worked a little bit. He certainly made huge leaps in his flatwork over the next couple of years with our amazing trainer as we went from cross training to focusing on just one discipline (MUCH to be said for picking one thing and getting really good at it).
But something was always missing.
I really missed jumping.
After Pongo passed I tried reasonably hard not to miss riding. And with the baby, move, work...I certainly have had my hands full.
But I can't help it, I miss it. The only way I can swing it right now though is to only kinda do it.
I can't own a horse right now, can't drive super far to a barn, can't spend hours at the barn once I am there.
Luckily there's an incredible new facility TEN minutes from my house. I connected with one of the trainers there who had a cool bio and totally understood me from the moment we hopped on the phone. And today...I had my first jump lesson in three years...and it was awesome!
I rode her horse, a big, floaty OTTB about 10 months off the track. He felt like he had many more months of training on him which to me spoke volumes about the trainer I was working with. She was easy, breezy, let me hop on, figure him out and then off we went over some jumps.
I was a hot mess the first couple...chucking my body over them. The trainer put up a grid and let me figure my stuff out. She was rad.
Three things happened specifically over the course of the lesson....
1. I started to ride the horse vs. just ninnying around trying not to upset him because SCARY OTTB might decide to race off with me, right? Or not, his favorite gait was clearly HALT and rest with ample scritches ;)
2. We popped on draw reins to minimize some drama llamaing that was going on because OTTB figured out I could ride and then proceeded to test me a little over the jumps.
3. The last jump went up to an oxer which helped me and OTTB put our game faces on and do this thing.
Awesome awesome morning back in the tack. I'm doing it again on Wednesday.
3 years ago was when the wheels really fell off with Pongo and I moved barns right before my wedding (right after breaking my butt).
We decided to focus on dressage and get him feeling better. It worked a little bit. He certainly made huge leaps in his flatwork over the next couple of years with our amazing trainer as we went from cross training to focusing on just one discipline (MUCH to be said for picking one thing and getting really good at it).
But something was always missing.
I really missed jumping.
After Pongo passed I tried reasonably hard not to miss riding. And with the baby, move, work...I certainly have had my hands full.
But I can't help it, I miss it. The only way I can swing it right now though is to only kinda do it.
I can't own a horse right now, can't drive super far to a barn, can't spend hours at the barn once I am there.
Luckily there's an incredible new facility TEN minutes from my house. I connected with one of the trainers there who had a cool bio and totally understood me from the moment we hopped on the phone. And today...I had my first jump lesson in three years...and it was awesome!
I rode her horse, a big, floaty OTTB about 10 months off the track. He felt like he had many more months of training on him which to me spoke volumes about the trainer I was working with. She was easy, breezy, let me hop on, figure him out and then off we went over some jumps.
I was a hot mess the first couple...chucking my body over them. The trainer put up a grid and let me figure my stuff out. She was rad.
Three things happened specifically over the course of the lesson....
1. I started to ride the horse vs. just ninnying around trying not to upset him because SCARY OTTB might decide to race off with me, right? Or not, his favorite gait was clearly HALT and rest with ample scritches ;)
2. We popped on draw reins to minimize some drama llamaing that was going on because OTTB figured out I could ride and then proceeded to test me a little over the jumps.
3. The last jump went up to an oxer which helped me and OTTB put our game faces on and do this thing.
Awesome awesome morning back in the tack. I'm doing it again on Wednesday.

Lol, first jump lesson in 3 years, and you are already jumping bigger than my :P Glad you are back!
ReplyDeleteLolz, she kept raising it I kept jumping it. Honestly, I find he got easier to ride the larger the fence got because we both got more focused on the job. Over the smaller stuff he was quite wiggly!
DeleteI'm so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteThank you!!!
DeleteYay for making saddle time work! Great news and sounds like lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteYay what fun!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are back in the saddle!
ReplyDeleteHooray! I am so happy to hear you had a good lesson! Lessons are such a great way to get your horse fix without all the expense and time that us mamas just can't afford in this phase of life. Hope you ride and write more soon!
ReplyDeleteThat's so awesome!
ReplyDeleteWeeeeeee! I'm so glad you got to get back in the saddle :D
ReplyDeleteYAYAYAYAY!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got back in the saddle!
ReplyDeleteYay it must have felt fantastic!
ReplyDelete