Courses and Crushes
I'll start off by saying I didn't get video...something about being the new kid and feeling a little weird about asking people to film me and definitely not ready to share about my blogging...so yeah, maybe I can get hubs to come out this afternoon with the kid and take some pics...we'll see.
BUT, yesterday I rode my first courses in YEARS people, YEARS.
Lucky for me I was on my fave Curly crush and she packed me around like a champ. I tried my best to ride like I knew what I was doing. It's coming back to me, albeit slowly.
After an EMBARRASSING stop at the first, warm up crossrail where we slowed to a crawl and she lurched half of her body over it, her front end on one side, back end on the other, STOPPED I realized that ummm...yes I am on a packer and YES I need to still keep my leg on and go forward and maybe not hang onto this poor beast like a comatose monkey on her back.
I got it together in fairly short order after that thankfully.
We coursed around the jumps from last weekend's show. They were only about 2'6", but that was perfect to build up my confidence and allow my muscle memory to kick in. I worked on going forward to the jumps and sitting up through the corners to get my leads. I worked on counting strides in the lines and before the fences to get my distances. I got left behind twice, but only caught the poor mare in the mouth once. GAWD. She is a good, girl soul sista.
It's all coming back together thankfully and I love it. Another lesson this afternoon, not sure who I am riding today!
BUT, yesterday I rode my first courses in YEARS people, YEARS.
Lucky for me I was on my fave Curly crush and she packed me around like a champ. I tried my best to ride like I knew what I was doing. It's coming back to me, albeit slowly.
After an EMBARRASSING stop at the first, warm up crossrail where we slowed to a crawl and she lurched half of her body over it, her front end on one side, back end on the other, STOPPED I realized that ummm...yes I am on a packer and YES I need to still keep my leg on and go forward and maybe not hang onto this poor beast like a comatose monkey on her back.
I got it together in fairly short order after that thankfully.
We coursed around the jumps from last weekend's show. They were only about 2'6", but that was perfect to build up my confidence and allow my muscle memory to kick in. I worked on going forward to the jumps and sitting up through the corners to get my leads. I worked on counting strides in the lines and before the fences to get my distances. I got left behind twice, but only caught the poor mare in the mouth once. GAWD. She is a good, girl soul sista.
It's all coming back together thankfully and I love it. Another lesson this afternoon, not sure who I am riding today!
![]() |
| @wideturn on tumblr |

So awesome to get back in the saddle and jump around <3
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the good lesson. That gif is really cool too.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're getting some me time and having fun. :-)
ReplyDelete