Clear Aids
| How cute are these guys?
Practice makes perfect.
I think I say this a lot when it comes to my riding. Right now we’re practicing obedient transitions. We’ve been working the 10-10-10 exercise ALL
WEEK. It’s getting better. The canter
downward is still tough. I get a few
soft, lovely transitions each ride though, however I am still have to get after
him to LISTEN TO ME more than I’m getting the actual listening.
Last night I felt like maybe I was being unclear. Maybe my half halt aid and my downward aids
were too similar. I played with my half
halt aid as outside rein only with a squeeze of my inner thighs and my downward
aid as closing up everything gently. That
seemed to work better. He gets annoyed
with the repetition, I feel bad making him drill this stuff, but until it’s
correct the majority of the time I feel like he needs to keep practicing. Getting a soft downward is not asking too much
I feel like. He’s a smart and capable
horse. He just has major opinions about doing
what he’s told when he’s told. He loves
cantering, he sees no reason to stop cantering once he starts. He doesn’t get quick or naughty, he just doesn’t
want to go back to trot until he feels like it, which is usually about 10 strides after I ask for it.
I think I’m expecting too much of a change in too short of a
time. Today he’ll get the day off to
think about things, he’s had 4 hard days in a row. Tomorrow I’ll start him on the lunge in side
reins to review the concept and then hop on and keep the conversation going. It’s boring honestly, but it feels so good
when he gets it.
A wise horsewoman told me a good horse takes years to make…apparently
in this case, she’s right!! And I need
to {still} be more patient with the process of installing all the buttons correctly.
|

Patience is tough, I guess that's why they call it a virtue? He seems like a smart guy, he'll catch on :-)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work!! In 5 years you'll look back and be glad you took the time to do it right!
ReplyDeleteI love the 10-10-10 exercise, but my mare is smart. She know how to count. So I have to make it 10-5-15 or 4-8-4 or some other ridiculousness so that she actually pays attention to me instead of guessing we are going to 10 every time.
ReplyDelete