It's Working!
Progress, sweet progress.
After a solid week of working on our 10-10-10 exercise we met with our trainer last night for our weekly Monday night lesson.
I arrived at the barn to be informed that Pong escaped from
turnout earlier in the day {read: learned how to open the gate} and tore around
the property before heading {on his own} back to his stall. Lovely!
He was no worse for wear so I tacked him up and hopped on.
With the show coming up it is now time to start working on
some of the elements in the tests. My
trainer picked the canter across the diagonal, trot at X part of the test. Pongo warmed up really well. No major tantrums about the half halts, balanced
and dare I say a little swingy through his shoulder. We picked up the canter and as we rounded the
corner to head across the diagonal I felt myself cringe just a little, unsure
of how this would go…Well, me of little faith, he was perfect. I asked for the transition and he gave
it. Balanced and soft.
Ok then!
We finished the exercise by leg yielding in the trot from X
to the wall {not part of the test, but a way to re-establish the connection
through the outside rein}. Then, we did
the diagonal in the other direction {right lead canter}. Not as pretty, but still quite
wonderful. We worked the pattern about 5
times in each direction, leg yielding to the wall at X each time. He was great.
A few meltdowns here and there, but overall well behaved. I was so pleased with him!
I gave my trainer a good chuckle by telling her I’d looked online
at the dressage tests to pick which ones to ride in the show and that I was
surprised to see there were now only THREE tests per level…uh, when did that
happen???? Last time I showed there were
FOUR tests per level. Can you tell how
long I’ve been in eventing-land?!? We
decided on T-2 and T-3. As much as my
pride wants to show first level I want to take it easy for our first show since
May. Plus, we haven’t played with
lengthenings at all. We’ll work on those
this winter and hopefully make our way up to first level next year.
#BronzeMedalTime


Get it girl
ReplyDelete#getitgirl :)
ReplyDeleteLove the progress and kick booties dressage team ya'll are making!!
haha I though the same thing when I looked up tests last year.. I was so confused where the fourth ones went!
ReplyDeleteI really like T-3, I think it flows well, you guys will nail it!!
Super fun!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to try your 10-10 exercise!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll do great!
ReplyDeleteYou can do it! Gunner is starting to really warm up to dressage too!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
ReplyDelete